Monday, April 20, 2009

1804 - Lady Nelson explores the Tamar River


Built at Deptford on The Thames in 1798, HM Colonial Brig Lady Nelson was the first ship to explore the Tamar River in Northern Tasmania.
She returned later that year with the Buffalo to establish a settlement.
In 1813 the little brig, in company with the Minstrel transported 21 men, 6 women and 16 children from Norfolk Island to the Port Dalrymple settlement.
Today, in April 2009, the replica Lady Nelson unfurls her sails on the same stretch of river.
During a once a year visit to the north of Tasmania, the wooden boat allows tourists to recapture the days of sail.
Join me on my blog (below)as a tourist and a crew member as I sail with the ship half way around the coast of Tasmania.
My blog story starts at the end of the voyage.

For more on the Tall Ships I have sailed on or visited, go to my Tall Ships' site
For more information on The Lady Nelson and the Tasmanian Sail Training Association go to: LADY NELSON

Pic: Lady Nelson sails the Tamar River - 2009

No comments: