Monday, November 15, 2010

Poppy Day 11 November 2010


On 15th November, ninety-five years ago, my great Uncle, Lance Corporal TW Ettershank was killed on Flanders fields in the First World War. He was just 21 years of age.
He came from Leeds and was a member of the King's Own Yorkshire Regiment.
I discovered where he was buried after corresponding with a historian in Belgium, who I was able to assist in finding some information about a Tasmanian soldier who is buried in a village cemetery in Belgium.
This week I received an email from Alain saying that he had visted the Irish New Farm War Cemetery and placed a cross and poppy on my great Uncle's grave.
Sadly, my mother died (aged 99) only a few months ago, but I know she would have appreciated that gesture and it would have rekindled memories of her lost brother.

No comments: