Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Writing for Children

The day the scarecrows came to town
I got the idea for this children's story after visiting a Small Farms' Field Day held in a country town in Western Australia.
One of the main events was a scarecrow competition.
I was amazed, I had never seen so many scarecrows!
They were big, small, fat, thin, and dressed in all manner of costumes - guaranteed to send the imagination haywire!
My story, about Sam a rather delapidated straw man, had quite a cast of scarecrows in it.
And I even wrote a sequel.
Unfortunately, my limited attempts to get the story published were unsuccessful.
Perhaps now, with a little more knowledge of the publishing business, I should try again.

Photo: Me and a scarecrow at Balingup several years ago. The scarecrow is the one with the long nose!

3 comments:

Mr.Bowers said...

Hey, that is a great picture! I am gonna print that one to show the kindergartners! Thanks! -Mr. Bowers

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»